meetings are open to everyone, members and non-members
Meeting Dates and Place:
Meetings are normally held
on the 3rd Friday of each
month and we meet at:
South Coast Botanic Garden
26300 Crenshaw Boulevard
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274
During the Course of the Evening:
The evening begins with an educational Cultural Session
at 7 PM and runs approximately 45 minutes. Topics include:
- Collecting orchids
- Growing, watering, light, and fertilization
- Repotting, pot types and potting media
- Pest control and pesticides
- Virus identification and testing
- Orchid awards, names, descriptions
- Planning your greenhouse
- And many other varied topics
Members may bring in their own orchids to be judged
in a competition. There are two ribbon judging categories:
Amateur and Advanced Amateur. Click the following link
to download a tag for plant entry.
Monthly Meeting Plant Judging Tag
At 8 o'clock we get started with a few announcements
and introduce our guest speaker who presents his/her
topic for the evening. This generally includes some
show and tell and/or a slide or Power Point presentation.
include local, national, and internationally recognized
experts, authors, growers, or researchers in the field
- During the intermission we have refreshments courtesy
of our members.
- Meeting attendees may place their final bids on
orchids in our silent auction. The auction is called
at the end of the intermission. (Great bargains here.)
- Attendees may buy raffle ticket for the plant raffle
table which is held at the end of the evening.
- Peruse the orchids on display for the ribbon judging
competition and see gorgeous bloomers.
- Check out books from our orchid book library.
Books are to be returned at the following meeting.
(You must be a current active member to borrow books)
The Plant Raffle
Following the intermission we have a plant raffle. Orchids are provided by
speakers and/or vendors and consists of a variety of blooming and out of
seasoned orchids. The raffle is a fun and spirited way we end the evening.
Tickets are pulled from the hopper and winners may select any orchid on
the plant table.
Click Here for more information
on joining the South Bay Orchid Society as a member or renewing your membership.